Tuesday, July 17

Spin me some theater.

I recently saw a good play, and took a good spinning class, two of my favorite things to do. I also recently saw a bad play and took a bad spinning class, two of my favorite things gone awry. For those of you who don't spin (and by that I mean take that intimidating-looking cycling class at the gym), spinning instructors are a lot like plays: there are a lot of bad ones out there, but when you find a great one, they'll change your life. Which got me thinking about other similarities that exist between what makes a good play, and what makes a good spinning class:

1. You gotta grab me.

If I'm not into it after the first ten minutes, I'm gonna zone out to some degree. And after that, it's hard to win me back. Plays change my mind more than spinning instructors, though. You can basically tell from the second the instructor walks into the room if he/she is going to be a dud.

2. Rhythm is everything.

I think one of the most crucial aspects of a writer and director's collaboration in mounting a stage production is finding the rhythm(s) of the piece. It's gotta flow. And it's got to flow in a way specific to that play, a way that supports that particular play's storytelling. This is probably something most people take for granted when a play works -- it simply flows the way it should. But believe you me, it takes a lot of work to make it seem so easy. And did you know there are spinning instructors out there (and more than one, I might add), who actually count out loud a pace you're supposed to match that doesn't match the beat of the music they are playing?? Did these people grow up on Mars? Where do they come from?

3. Variety is good.

You know, that makes sense.

4. Audience participation is bad.

No, I will not raise my hand when you ask, "Who's up for it?!" Trust me, I am an active participant in your event if I am there, engaged, and, if appropriate, pedaling.

5. Never, ever ask people to go up into third position without any resistance on the wheel!

OK, that one is just for spinning instructors.

6. You can't please everyone all the time.

There will always be people who walk out at the end saying, "Wow, that was great!" even if you think it sucked. And vice versa: there will always be someone who doesn't like even your most favorite of plays/spinning classes. So, as a writing mentor once told me, just do what you feel is good, and eventually, hopefully, someone else will think it's good too.

4 Comments:

Blogger Cristi said...

Great comparison. So true what you say about finding a rhythm.

I want you to come to one of my spinning classes and critique me, or have you already and chewed me up? :)

6:49 PM  
Blogger Adam said...

I would love to come to your class! When/where do you teach? Perhaps I can cajole Liz into coming as well...

9:56 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

no chance in hell. when I spin, I want my bike to be going somewhere. that said, Cristi's class RULES, even for a flabby wimp like me.

1:55 PM  
Blogger K Bo said...

spinning and plays... can we do either or both of these things when I get back to the city? (2 weeks and counting!)

11:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home