Thursday, April 26

Showtunes bustin' out all over.

Okay, I don't watch American Idol...which means there are good chunks of time at parties and over dinners where I have nothing to contribute to the conversation. I don't watch a huge amount of TV, and tend to steer clear of those shows that seems to require multiple-hour commitments several days a week. (Okay, and also, I'm a snob about singing, so American Idol usually makes my skin crawl.)

But when my super-duper playwright collaborator came in to our work session today and told me that someone sang "You'll Never Walk Alone" on American Idol, I felt compelled to check it out. It's actually pretty kick-ass! I have always LOVED this song, but most of the times I've seen it in a performance of Carousel, it's all sweet and soprano-y. And I've always thought it should be Mariah-ed out a little bit.

The best part is the girl who chose to sing the song (for American Idol Brings Hope To The World Week, or something) is only 17! And she chose a song from a classic musical! I love it!

(Still not gonna watch American Idol, but I did appreciate this clip!)

1 Comments:

Blogger Murphy Jacobs said...

I've really only heard choral arrangements of the song and (of course) the movie version. The chorus I used to sing with had an arrangement that brought tears to the audience every time (the good kind).

12:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home