Wednesday, March 7

Have issues, will travel.

The L train tonight was rife with interesting relationship dynamics.

First, on the platform, I noticed a couple who seemed, at first glance, to be practicing calisthenics very close to the platform edge. As I watched a few seconds more, I realized they were performing some sort of intense trust exercise, wherein they were cantelevering their body weight in such a way that if one let go, the other would tumble onto the train tracks.

Fortunately, this display resembles my past relationships in metaphor only.

Then, on the train, there was another couple chatting, carrying matching black plastic hardcases that I only assume contained film equipment. (And this I assume because the same cases were ubiquitous in the basement of the Tisch School of the Arts, where all the film students had their equipment.) Anyway, they're chatting, chatting, when suddenly the guy dives in for an intense peck on the girl's lips, and it is instantly clear that this is the first time their mouths have ever touched. This is a fascinating moment to watch, ladies and gentlemen, and one we are rarely witness to, especially in such close quarters. I feel as if it should have been narrated by Pierce Brosnan as if a Discovery Channel nature special. There's the first moment of disbelief, then recognition, then embarassment/shame, then avoidance of eye contact, then blush, then smile. As a sweet end to my train ride, the girl, after what feels like an eternity, gives him a quick peck back, launching them into a long, awkward silence.

It's somewhat relieving to know that awkward first kisses are a) not unique to me and b) sometimes rather charming.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home