Saturday, November 17

Talkin' turkey.

It's no secret that Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday, because it involves two of my favorite things: eating and wearing sweaters. It's just when the weather turns colder -- and the merino wool comes out of the drawer -- that my mind turns to thoughts of pumpkin pie, turkey gravy, and stuffing.

But in recent years, there's been a more telling sign that Thanksgiving is on its way: I'm contacted by random, old friends from across the country telling me they've just seen me on The Food Network.

It's true; a couple years ago I appeared in an episode of "Good Deal with Dave Lieberman," a show whose premise is that every week, Dave, the chef-on-a-budget, invites some of his pals over to his apartment to share a meal he's prepared on a twentysomething-in-New-York's budget. I was one of the Very Special Friends on the Very Special Thanksgiving Episode, which, if I'm remembering the release form I signed before filming the episode, is set to air pretty much in perpetuity every Thanksgiving.

And so, like clockwork, random people from my past come out of the woodwork every November and tell me they've just seen me on national TV.

This year, apparently, I've come up in the world, and I'm featured in the opening credits of every single episode. I don't watch the show, so this is all hearsay, but I've heard a detailed description of myself raising a glass of red wine, which, in fact, I did during the shoot. (They get you really drunk.)

There were several takes of me adeptly serving green beans (harder than it sounds), which I was sad to say did not make it to the final cut.

The funny thing -- and I hope some Food Network heavies don't hunt me down and lay claim to my first born for saying so -- is that I'm not really friends with Dave Lieberman. I just met him that day, and haven't ever seen him since.

Really, I just did the show so I could eat two Thanksgiving meals in one year. (The show was filmed in the summer -- we were told to dress and act as if it were the fall. For our pre-dinner conversation, we went around the table and shared what we were for Halloween. It was July.)

Anyhoo, this is a funny little thing about Adam in autumn. I always forget about it until someone says, "I saw you on the Food Network!" and then I know that my favorite holiday is right around the corner.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home