Friday, December 1

Lunchtime: Make it work.

I had a tintillating celebrity sighting today.

Sometimes for a cheap lunch-on-the-go, I will visit one of those halal meat carts you see on Manhattan street corners. I get a lot of flack for visiting these meat carts, but, you see, there are certain ones which I call "Grade A" meat carts, and are actually quite tasty. Finding out which carts are "Grade A" is, unfortunately, a process of trial and error, but once you know which ones are safe, they provide an inexpensive and surprisingly delicious meal.

But I digress.

I was standing on line for one such Grade A meat cart (they're really popular, you know!) stationed just outside of Parsons Design School, and who should saunter up behind me in line in an impeccable, navy blue pin-striped suit, but Project Runway's Tim Gunn!

(This is actually my second Tim Gunn sighting, having passed him on the street during the first season of PR and literally exclaiming out loud: Tim Gunn!)

Now, as I see it, there are some basic options one has when encountering a celebrity in his or her daily life on the streets of Manhattan. You can state the obvious ("You're Tim Gunn!"), go the deferential route ("Mr. Gunn, I'm a huuuuuuge fan..."), play at acting casual ("Tim, hey! I'm Adam."), or say nothing at all.

Given the surprising circumstances of suddenly having Tim Gunn appear before you on line at a meat cart, my brain ignored the usual options, and I just stood there with a huge grin on my face, half excitement at seeing Tim Gunn and half amusement at learning that Tim Gunn, too, likes the Grade A meat cart.

Tim responded to my huge, dopey grin with a grin of his own. Next time, I'll see if he wants to go to Red Lobster.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home