Sunday, November 19

Viva Volver!

Oh, Almodovar. Sweet, sweet, Pedro Almodovar. He makes me so happy.

This morning I took an "artist date" to see Volver, the new Pedro Almodovar film. An artist date is something they told us to do in college, where you go do something cultural by yourself in order to make yourself a Better Person. Every now and then I have a hankering to take an artist date, and this morning, it was Volver.

I'm a huuuuge Almodovar fan, and I wasn't disappointed. I don't know why, but his movies fill me up with goodness. I love the goofy glamour, the ethereal realism, the color palette that brings out the joys in sorrow and the sorrows in joy. I love that he loves music. (His composer, Alberto Iglesias, is amazing -- the soundtrack to Talk To Her in particular is just incredible.) I love that his life philosophy seems to be that a little bit of beauty can make everything OK. He finds beauty in the most unexpected places.

Of course, it doesn't hurt your beauty quotient to have Penelope Cruz in your movie. She is so stunningly gorgeous, I have to admit I forgot to read the subtitles at times, because I was so distracted by her face.

Volver was much more fulfilling than another movie I saw this weekend, the much-hyped, inevitably-disappointing Borat. The sketches I had seen on "Da Ali G" show were much better than the movie, I thought.

All in all, it was a Weekend of Culture, rounded out by a modern dance piece at BAM that I quite enjoyed. Perhaps this overload of Artsy Things was in preparation for the upcoming Weekend of Family, which will bring me to Baltimore, known for its culinary delights and crime statistics, but not particularly for its adventurous arts programming!

1 Comments:

Blogger demdiva said...

Oh, Adam, say it isn't so. Really? Penelope CRUZ?!?!? Talentless, irritating, dead-doe eyes PC does not deserve your love and admiration. In fact, she deserves to be executed for her whimpery, vapid presence on screen or red carpet.

Her only redeeming quality is that she hasn't recorded an overproduced "music album" to deafen us.

5:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home